The Story Of A 29 Year Old British Girl Who Moved To LA To Make Her Dreams Come True; Only To Move Home To Care For Her Mother Diagnosed With Brain Cancer. Day-To-Day Thoughts, Updates, Love And Laughs (yes, I'm still allowed to laugh...)

Monday 9 December 2013

Another Day, Another Round Of Radiotherapy...Plus, My Annoying Attempt At An Aussie Accent

Neighbors of the year M&M took us to the hospital today for the first of a full week's treatment. Mum did really well even though all appointments were an hour delayed.

It helped that M decided to divulge her love of alcohol, how her daughter has power of attorney over her (which she needs to get revoked because she doesn't trust her soon-to-be son in law), and how she was pregnant before she got married...Definitely helps distract from the fact you are surrounded by people with cancer.

I could see Mum was trying even harder to put on an even brave face today because we were with M&M; she put on make-up for the first time since I've come back to the UK and it was great to see. I told her this is how she always has to be. Brushing her hair today I began to dread the day it will start to fall out, and already prep myself mentally for things I can say to lighten the mood, like I did when I first came home and saw my dad without hair after treatment. I need to make sure she keeps strong, she can't stop fighting this.


On a lighter note...




...as my days now have changed so drastically and consist pretty much of looking after mum, cleaning, cooking and going to radiotherapy sessions; reading, writing and checking out new comedies is keeping me sane. Currently giving me all sorts of happy is Chris Lilley's genius.

I watched Summer Heights High a couple of years back and adored it. Lilley's subtle style and frighteningly accurate portrayal of a 16 yr old female high school horror, an egotistical, self absorbed camp drama teacher and the utterly lovable troubled islander boy, amazed me.  Very happy to discover his previous work 'We Can Be Heroes' and 'Angry Boys'. After my mates back in LA are blasting every social media outlet with their love for Ja'mie: Private School Girl I wanted to go back and see what else Lilley had done. Lilley has now definitely made my list of comedic genius' who I need to work with/want to marry/respect like no other.

The List 

Steve Coogan
Ricky Gervais
Stephen Merchant
Larry David
Chris Lilley

 When I traveled the east coast of Australia a few years ago I would annoy the shit out of my fellow backpackers with my highly affected (and probably highly inaccurate) Aussie accent-and now it's Mum's turn. I have no-one else up here to annoy the shit out of with my impressions so mum was lucky enough to hear me babble in not only my Australian accent today, but also my poor South African one. She's one lucky, lucky lady-as if cancer wasn't bad enough she has to listen to my multiple personalities bloom. I told her I'm simply honing my craft...

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's Mr Lilley, a 38 year old man, dressed as a 16 year old private school bitch...ahhh, I remember the days when I was one of them...a private school bitch-not a 38 year old dude...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a note-much appreciated! x