The Story Of A 29 Year Old British Girl Who Moved To LA To Make Her Dreams Come True; Only To Move Home To Care For Her Mother Diagnosed With Brain Cancer. Day-To-Day Thoughts, Updates, Love And Laughs (yes, I'm still allowed to laugh...)

Sunday 5 January 2014

Your Thoughts Please, Dear Readers...

Today was  tough, not sugar coating it, it was fucking rough. Probably the hardest day since before my mum's brain surgery. Days like these remind me how much of my Mum is missing right now, there are sparks every so often of her coming back to her old self, but they are fleeting, but they are there.

So, here is a question I have for you and I would love your honest feedback in the comments below or, you know the deal, you can write to me at: TheBirdsThatSing@gmail.com or tweet me: @TheBirdWillSing

So...my aunt has been talking to me about heading back to Los Angeles for a bit. I haven't worked in nearly two months and obviously have my life in Los Angeles that I have built for the past 9 years which I need to keep going. I suggested going back for 2 weeks this month to work and get some things settled back there, she didn't see the point in such a short amount of time and suggested going back for longer.
We have a review meeting with Dr T at the end of this month just to see how Mum is feeling, then a scan will not take place for another 4-6 weeks to see how the radiotherapy went. This will be a very important meeting and I obviously would never miss that, but my aunt suggested that I go back in the interim.

At the moment Mum needs me here 24 hours a day, we are hoping to see some more improvement as the weeks go on, but still she would need a lot of help. My aunt can come once a day, but not provide  24 care, so she has contacted my mum's GP who then called me.
The district nurses let me know that the local hospice has respite care and day visits. I could have vomited at that word. The nurse assured me that hospices aren't what they used to be, but I can't let that happen-mum would hate it and I couldn't let her go anywhere she didn't want to be.




My problem is a tough one. I don't want to leave here, I want to be with her as much as I possibly can, but life is getting in the way; I have bills, an apartment, a car and I don't know what to do. Now, this is where you guys come in...one wonderful reader of these scribblings of mine emailed me to tell me their story and suggested I check out a website called GoFundMe. Have you guys heard of this? Donated via it? Used this?

It is a great idea, basically a forum for people who need help in different ways in life (mostly medical from what I've seen) they tell their story and people donate to help them reach a goal.  I have no idea how comfortable I am with thinking of doing this myself, however, it is a beautiful idea that people out there need help and generous souls do just that.

I'd love to know your experiences with it, what you think, and if you think it is something I should even consider to allow me more time here with my mum.

I will be reading your comments with great interest!

x






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a note-much appreciated! x